Wednesday, February 21, 2007

No Sheep for Me

Last Monday I showed up at Three Bags Full to teach a lace class and what did I see????



Be warned... this is going to be a shameless plug for the new book, No Sheep for You by Amy Singer, just out from Interweave Press.

If you haven't yet heard about it, this book is a compendium of gorgeous projects, none of which contain wool or animal fibers. Which leaves... let's see... silk, cotton, bamboo, linen, soy, tencel, and probably lots more that I am forgetting. Glorious stuff, right? Right.

I happen to have a piece in this book, the River Rock Scarf. The pictures below won't be in the same colorway or have the same beads, but I hope you can get a good idea.

riverrockcutout.sm

riverrockcloseup.sm

Yarn: Silken by Handmaiden. Beads: 6/0 Matte silver lined gold beads. Design: My own.

This design is based on a simple 2x2 rib with a little lace openwork at the edges. The scarf is meant to be like a freely running river with beads simulating the little rocks that interrupt the stream from time to time. It is freeform in that you can place your "rocks" anywhere you please, and put in as many as you like. For those who like to follow a pattern, I have included a plan that will give you rocks just like the one pictured in the book (which will be different from this one...every one I have made has been quite different from the others. Lots of room to play in this design!)

River Rock Scarf. In the book, No Sheep for You. Play in your river...

9 comments:

Hockey Mom said...

Sivia, that is gorgeous! That book is next on my list - especially now.

Kristine said...

I ordered myself that book at work today, and I'm SO excited now you can't imagine.

!!!

Happy dance.

Romi said...

Very nice! I love it!

annmarie said...

With a name like River Rock, how could it *not* pull me in? It's lovely! :)

Redford Phyl said...

Oooh! I have the perfect beads and Lisa Souza Sock! Merino for this! Now, if I can just finish a couple of projects first...

So many beautiful patterns and yarns, so little time.

e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Congrats Sivia! This one is very cool:-)

Julie said...

Mmmm, river rocks - what a very pretty design! I have just ordered the book - as though I have the time to knit anything else.

vanessa said...

you are an evil enabler ;-)
that scarf is GORGEOUS!

margene said...

That is a beautiful scarf!