Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Shawl Emergency

It finally happened to me. A hole appeared in my shawl. I always thought this was one of those things that happens to everyone else, but not me. Never me. Well, here it is. My Shetland Garden Shawl got an owie somehow and it showed up in the blocking stage. Ow, ow, ow. Doesn't it hurt just to look at that hole?


I put the shawl away for a couple of weeks to let my feelings settle. I knew it had to be fixed. Furthermore, I knew I could probably fix it. But sometimes it takes courage to step up to the plate.

Today I did surgery on my shawl. See the clean sheet underneath her? Here is a closeup of the damage.


And a closer-up, pointed the way the shawl was knitted this time (top-down). I picked up the live stitches and placed them on a double pointed needle. Yay... just three stitches to be fixed! It could have been a lot worse.


I was able to follow the chart and just knit that baby right back up. Phew!


After it was done, I had one live stitch, which I anchored with a spare piece of shawl yarn and wove the ends into the back of the shawl. I think it's almost undetectable now (hint... it was the middle leaf).

All congratulations gratefully accepted. May your shawls never sprout holes...

18 comments:

Barb said...

Yikes! and congratulations on the repair and the FO! That's one beautiful shawl!

Angela said...

Very nice invisi-fix.

Unknown said...

Beautiful shawl. Great job on the repair - I can't see it at all!

Madge said...

Whew - disaster averted! Well done on the save!

Mrs.Q said...

Well done! (Though frankly, I'm not surprised!)

Kristine said...

Beautifully done! I'm thoroughly impressed; I've repaired cables and plain knitting, but I think I would have fainted dead away if I'd found a hole in that lace, especially in THAT lace.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful shawl, and perfect surgical tecnique!

I wondedr if Mooshie had anything to do with the hole . . .

Love,

Cat

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Don't you feel like you can conquer the world?

CatonsvilleCats said...

Great fix! Thank goodness nothing was broken in there!

Anonymous said...

My mom's Shetland Garden Faroese shawl is actually back at my house. I'm trying to work up the energy for a repair. Hers tore at the neck, so I think I caught it before it got into the lace pattern itself, but it's still a little scary when you haven't done this kind of thing before. I hope my repair turns out as well as yours did!

vanessa said...

excellent surgery!

Nana Sadie said...

Nice Save! I'm not sure I'd have had the nerve and I know it wouldn't have looked this terrific!
Great job!
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Fantastic save!

Anonymous said...

What a good repair. Not noticeable at all now.

Rabbitch said...

Oh my, and to think that all of this excitement is going on in my very own city ...

Excellent repair and a lovely shawl, thank you for the pix!

annmarie said...

What a neat and tidy job! It looks lovely. :)

Tanglewood Fiber Creations said...

ewe r the most awesome! Great shawl! Trish

Fiona said...

That's a really neat repair! And I have been enjoying reading your blog, too - just discovered it today. I'm very taken with the Norwegian Woods shawl-to-be, the colourway is perfect for that design.