Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Squares Have It

Thanks to all who responded about my square/triangle conundrum. The squares have it! As a matter of fact, the center square of the shawl is finished, now on to picking up stitches for the border and knitting in the round - yay! I am just putting off knitting on this for today so I can use the shawl as it is to demo adding on a new ball with Russian Join for my lace knitting class tomorrow night. I normally find this join just a little fussy but it will be perfect for the sea silk I am using for the shawl.

Want to see a crumpled up piece of knitted lace? Here 'tis so far...



I like what the ivory sea silk is doing - kind of pooling but so subtly that it looks like sand dunes. I don't know if the sheen of the yarn comes through the photo, but it is really really nice. I am kind of hooked on this project even though I have several others I could/should be working on...

Well, actually I am working on one other thing, a scarf based on the Gothic Leaf Stole that I re-configured for the new lace knitting classes I am teaching now.

Want to see a semi-crumpled up piece of knitted lace?


I blocked out the scarf after the first three repeats to demo blocking out a swatch for the class, then just kept going. To tell the truth, I am becoming quite enamored of crumpled up lace knitting. See what I mean? So organic, and the beads are fascinatingly random in their crumpled state too.


I think a crumpled lace project may be coming soon...

For your information, the yarn used for this lace scarf is Sweet Georgia Yarn's merino superwash sock yarn in the afterglow colorway. Beads are silver lined crystal megatamas from Earth Faire, placed in with a crochet hook as I knit.

Thanks to a very generous knitting friend, I now have sock blockers for the very first time! I finished the second Journey Cable Sock last night and washed the pair. Now they are very happily resting on Smokey Jo Sock Blockers from chappy, who makes these at home with her husband in a multitude of sizes and patterns. I am now a convert to using them as they do smooth out your socks and make them dry faster too. Please go and give her online store a peek.

In the meantime, here are the socks:


Journey Cable Socks. Pattern to be published soon.

7 comments:

Kristine said...

I swear, Sivia, every time I think I'm getting caught up, you come up with something new that I'm pretty darn sure I *have* to knit! There is a skein of Fleece Artist Merino Socks that is just shouting at me now.

I think I can forgive you, though.

Oh, and did I ever tell you that I got Robb (the boyfriend) trained? Whenever I'm working on lace, and fussing about how it looks preblocked, he looks at me and says ...

"All lace looks like yarn vomit until blocked."

He has no idea what it means, but he says it for me all the same. :)

Barb said...

I would love a pattern for some crumpled lace. Your socks look just lovely on their pretty blockers. Thanks for sharing your lace projects underway - it's always great to see your work. It's lovely.

Julie said...

Oh, no, not another pair of beautiful socks I will have to knit. Yay! Another beautiful pair of socks I have to knit. I need a clone.

e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Everything looks so lovely i don't know where to comment first!

I love the laces and the socks look fantastic!
Could you pick more beautiful colors?

CatonsvilleCats said...

The shawl is beautiful but what I covet is those socks. Can't wait to get hold of that pattern!

Lyn said...

I have been hoping for that sock pattern, with yarn at the ready, since you 1st showed us the cable! They're lovely!

Madge said...

Those socks are delish! And I love how your Gothic Leaves scarf is knitting up with the Sweet Georgia yarn - very pretty!