Sunday, May 6, 2007

Bead Show Swag

The Whole Bead Show came to Vancouver this weekend. I wasn't going to go, having in mind a weekend of intense "good girl" knitting, with TNNA coming up straightaway and a new trunk show to fill.

It didn't take much to sway me from my straight and narrow path. One little email from my friend Cathalynn, fellow beader and designer, and I was gone. Yesterday we toured the shop displays and took a class on wire working.

Swag was purchased - almost none of which is destined for knitting projects. No, a new obsession has been born... making wire and bead jewelry. Here are some of the not-so-ill-gotten gains:


The priciest gems I bought (although not nearly as expensive as I thought they were going to be) were strings of faceted garnets and faceted hematite rondelles, which seemed to go very well with some beautiful handmade glass beads and sterling silver chain. I love garnets, which are not only my birth stone, but are my favorite color. These will become something very special...


Then there were some lovely rosy-gray freshwater coin pearls which begged for some zebra rose quartz to go with. Not shown are some almost transparent gray phantom quartz beads which will almost certainly be included in the piece. Such a sophisticated mix of textures and subtle color.


I could not pass up some more "show specials" - multicolored freshwater pearl strands that had broken from the original threads and sold for an astonishingly low price, and some lovely semi precious beads made from amazonite and jasper, all in greens and other earthy colors.


In the class, I did a freeform wire bracelet adorned with magenta freshwater pearls and small silver beads, courtesy of Cathalynn who shared them from her stash. I think I like it better today than I did at the class yesterday. Maybe we will make friends yet...

I actually do not wear a lot of jewelry, preferring knitwear as a quieter form of embellishment, but that may change soon if the earrings, neckpieces and other playful ornaments dancing in my head ever come forth into creation. Here's to creative play in all of its forms...

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Yummy swag! I really like your freeform bracelet. The garnets and multicolour freshewater pearls are particularly pretty.

Uli said...

Lovely stuff. I was there on Friday, spending way too much money!!! I think my bead addiction started with the first bit of beads I bought for the Hanging Garden stole and now I'm full on into jewelry making.

Romi said...

Gorgeous! And I love your bracelet. :)

vanessa said...

ah beads.
the choices are mind boggling!

Anonymous said...

You should take a look at my friend Ruth's work...she is in Whistler, BC, and she's amazing. A knitter, designer, and jeweler whose eye for form and colour is incredible. Her jewelry site is at http://www.impulse-of-delight.com/, and she blogs about it and her knitting on two separate blogs, linked on her site. I didn't wear jewelry for a long time either, until I found her. Simple elegance has won me over :-)

annmarie said...

Beautiful garnets! The color reminds me of the STR Mustang Sally. Garnets are my birthstone as well.

Bianca MacFarlane said...

Hi great reading yyour blog