Monday, March 10, 2008

Comfort Knitting

Thank you all so much for your wonderful outpouring of support... it all really helps, and I feel an enormous hug coming at me from all corners of the universe...

The response to the Norwegian Woods has been very gratifying too. Looks like we will be starting a KAL on the yahoo list in a couple of weeks, if anyone would like to knit the shawl in concert with others.

I have been working on what I call my Happy Knitting. These are not my "own" projects, which tend to be involved and fraught with detail, but little things for the shop or for family and friends. Here is the first thing, a Moebius wrap that I started during a class on Moebius techniques I taught a few weeks ago, about the time when I found out my Dad was in Intensive Care. I knew that I needed to make something beautiful and soft, and I thought if it turned out well I would give it as a comfort shawl to my stepmother, my Dad's wife, who is being incredibly strong these days. I just wove in the ends yesterday.



For this wrap, I threw in all the most precious fibers at my disposal: blue sky brushed suri alpaca, noro silk garden, kid silk haze, koigu. I experimented with Cat Bordhi's short row undulation technique (from the first Magical Treasury book) on the edges and I liked how organic it looks with the picot bind off. I thought the wrap turned out a mite big but I think that will be forgiven... I am sending it off today by express post.

Then there is a Babies and Bears sweater for the shop.. a trés cute pattern that can't let a smile turn upside down for long. Yarn is Dream in Color Classy in happy green (the colorway is called Happy Forest) and purple.




The latest news of my Dad is that he is peaceful and resting. I hope all of you are close to your loved ones today, in spirit or in person...

5 comments:

Sally said...

Sympathies and Hugs from this corner of the world...

Kristina B said...

Wonderful projects :-)

Melanie said...

What a wonderful gift you have made for your step mom - a luxurious and soft knitted hug. The Baby Surprise is adorable.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Seems I have been waiting sooooo long for word on your babies and bear sweater pattern. Has it been released? What shop? Hope you are doing well. Nancy

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy,

Babies and Bears is a pattern by Cottage Creations. You can find it lots of places.. just ask!