Friday, March 7, 2008

Victory and Defeat

The best and the worst sometimes happen at the very same time. In case you, dear readers, are wondering whether Sivia (and the Norwegian Woods) have dropped off the face of the earth, never fear. The reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated, in the words of the immortal Mark Twain.

The good news: Norwegian Woods is now OUT! Sized for scarf or shawl, yarn requirements are 470 yards for the scarf, 900 for the shawl. Beads, if you choose to use them, are size 8/0 seed beads or the equivalent. You will need 179 (251) beads for this pattern, which really isn't many, so splurge on some really pretty ones. I used beautiful Toho 3x3 cubes that I got at Earth Faire. You can see all the details and purchase the pattern on my website, so go have a look.

Thanks to Shirley Su for modelling, Three Bags Full yarn shop for allowing the picture of their lovely store in the picture and for many, many other things I will not mention, and last but never least, my superb test knitters, Kat and Joanne.

Now, in case you have two skeins of sea silk (like the pictured scarf, in the periwinkle colorway) and are wondering whether you can squeeze a shawl out of your 800 meters of precious yarn, never fear. The shawl is designed for ease of modification: each of the three lace patterns can be repeated more OR fewer times and you will still be in perfect coordination with the next pattern. Keep in mind that your yarn and bead requirements will change... in this case, to accommodate a slightly slim yarn cache, but you could also easily upsize the shawl to a bigger width and length in this way.

Chances are, a KAL on my yahoo group will be starting sometime in the near future. You are welcome to check in with us at SiviaHardingKnits, where a Moonshadow Stole KAL is now in progress.

Now for the un-good news: My dear father is dying. He was moved into a hospice facility today where he lives, far away from where I live. I cannot travel to him at this time for multiple very good reasons, and this is very painful. My family, who are all gathered at his bedside, has forgiven me and continues to forgive me, for which I am so grateful. I have been preoccupied with all the things that happen to you when a dear family member is on the verge of passing - an enormous amount of prayer, emotion, and grief has been pouring out of me. I comfort myself with the knowledge that my dad will have a peaceful passing, surrounded by love and proof of his lifelong goodness. Really, who could ask for more?

I love you and always will, Dad. This one's for you.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Your shawl is simply beautiful Sivia.

I am so very sorry about your Dad. Please try not to be too hard on yourself. Your Dad feels your love and that is the most important thing right now. Love transcends the physical.

Please take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

The shawl is gorgeous.

I'm so sorry about your father. I hope you all find peace.

Kristine said...

Feeling a bit like Pete and Repeat, but the shawl is gorgeous, and I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure he knows that you're there with him in spirit, even if you can't be there in your physical presence.

I'm stashbusting this year, but I may just have to jump in on this KAL -- my rules, though, say I have to finish something lacy before I can cast on a new lacy project. I did decide, however, that frogging counts as finishing. We'll see what happens. :)

Kristina B said...

Sivia, I wish for you that you have every comfort and support to you in the days ahead - and that you are taking good care of yourself at this difficult time.

Beautiful shawl, as ever.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sivia,
This is Debora (mother of Cassie), a friend of Many's that met you in Van. just two weeks ago.
I am sorry to hear about your father. I hope that your love helps to transcend the physical separation.
Take time, take care.

Jacqui said...

How very, very sad. But you are so right, who could ask for more, may we all be as lucky when our time comes. Heart felt comisserations that you are unable to be there too, although you wil obviously be there in spirit.

The shawl is beautiful, but you know that :o)

Unknown said...

Thank all of you for your kind words and concern. Everything helps and you are wonderful...

Melanie said...

I wish you and your family peace. Love is an amazing thing; you don't have to be with the person you are sending it to for it to be felt. I'm certain that the love you are sending your Dad is a great comfort to him.

Norwegian Woods is beautiful, and is a great tribute to your Dad.

Anonymous said...

Blessings to your father, you, and your family.
Madeline

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your dad. It's hard to be the one who can't be there. Peace be with all of you.

Vicki said...

My heart goes out to you, Sivia. Your dad certainly knows that you'd be there if you could. And, with the rest of your family at his side, you can certainly take comfort that he's not alone. It's difficult, though, I know.

Your new shawl design is lovely! It will certainly be very popular.

Anonymous said...

Be gentle with yourself. Your dad knows you love him. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Angela said...

I haven't seen you for a long time, but know that you will feel my hug and good thoughts winging through the air towards you.

Peace and light.

e's knitting and spinning blog said...

I'm sorry Sivia. I'll be thinking of you and your family.

Nurhanne said...

Coming ot of lurkdom to let you know my thoughts are with you at this difficult time. Unfortunately I have a pretty good idea what you're going through as I faced the same situation when my own father died. Hang in there.

weebug said...

i grieve for you. it is so hard letting go. keeping you in my thoughts and prayers...

Anonymous said...

The new shawl is lovely!

I'm so sorry about your father.